100% Green Guarantee
At Lawnsafe we will ensure that your lawn is in a perfect condition – whatever the weather. All you need to do it make sure that you water and mow your lawn correctly.
Read More >>
Your garden is an intricately balanced ecosystem. If an aspect falls out of balance, it may have a profound effect on the health and look of the rest of your garden. Your lawn is no different – and unfortunately disease can strike in the blink of an eye.
Read More >>
Growing Grass from Seeds
Growing grass from scratch can be a daunting task. We can help to ensure that the grass you have planted grows fast and balanced through our lawn care program. To help you get started we share a few tips on growing grass by means of seeding.
- Dig out the weeds with a shovel and make sure you get all the roots. Apply relevant herbicide and use a sod cutter to remove any leftover roots.
- Have the PH level of the soil tested to ensure that you know which adjustments will be needed.
- Use a tiller to soften and break up the soil. Growing grass in highly compacted soil will be a futile exercise.
- Use a high phosphorus content type of fertilizer to spread it over the soil. We can also help with this process.
- Add compost to the soil by spreading it over the loose soil. This will inoculate the soil.
- Now work the fertilizer and compost into the soil.
- Level the soil out by means of raking and make sure that small rocks are removed.
- Check that there is sufficient grading for proper drainage away from the house.
- Get a roller and do the final levelling of the soil.
- Water the soil slightly.
- Get a seeder and use it to spread the seeds at the recommended rate over the whole lawn area.
- Repeat the process for a further three turns.
- Tip- use a quarter of the bag of seeds for every seeding session.
- Make sure you seed in a different direction every time to ensure that the seeds are spread evenly.
- Spread a thin layer of soil over the seeds by means of lightly raking the seed area.
- Use an empty roller to roll the surface.
- Now use a fine spray to water the seeds.
- Do this several times a day for the next couple of days to keep the soil moist.
- Once the blades sprout you will have to keep watering by means of spray for a couple more days.
Seeding is not the easiest way for growing grass, but if you work on a budget, it will certainly work if done correctly. If you need help in getting your grass to grow well and have a stunning lawn, contact us today.